Acton Town Council Meeting Minutes, May 6, 2019 Approved

  1.  Call to Order, Flag Salute, & Roll Call –  The meeting was called to order at 7:01pm by President Jeremiah Owen.  Present at the meeting:  Pam Wolter, Jacki Ayer, Jeremiah Owen, Tom Costan, and Kelly Teno.  Absent: Dylan Lunde.
  2. Community Comments – A new resident introduced himself, he lives off Bootlegger on Heffner.  He is currently working with the County to rehab their non permitted home.  He is in the process of getting a CUP.  It was decided to put this on a future agenda so he can share all his information.  It will be set up through email.  Resident Brandon Roche from Assemblyman Lackey’s office brought to our attention two Senate Bills that are in legislature that may affect Acton. SB409 by Senator Scott Wilke and Assemblyman Lackey puts more restrictions on the people illegally dumping along with more penalties.  SB415 by Senator Grove removes some restrictions on hauling horse trailers. At the current trailer weight the driver needs a Class A license and with the bill they would need a Class C license.  They are setting up a Community Coffee in July, Brandon will get flyers to us when it is set.  A resident asked about the Acton CSD fencing color and lighting illuminating into a residents yard.  We looked up our CSD on fencing and found nothing about color.  The resident was told where to find a copy of the CSD and he was advised to contact Tina Carlon in the Regional Planning Lancaster Office.
  3. Minutes of the Last Meeting(s) –  Tom Costan made a motion to approve the February 4, 2019; March 4, 2019; April 1, 2019; and April 15, 2019 minutes with corrections from Jacki Ayer to the February 4th and April 1st minutes.  Jacki Ayer 2nd the motion.  The motion carried.
  4. Treasurer Report – $742.05 in the bank account.  No income and no expense.
  5.  Sheriff report – Deputy Martinez announced there were 9 incidents in April that resulted in reports.
  6. Library Report – Jim Wall announced the May events
  7. AT&T Cell Site: Soledad Canyon Road/Crown Valley Road – John Pappas was not present at the meeting so this item will be tabled.  The coverage maps provided by Mr John Pappas (Eukon Group) have been up on the ATC website for about 3 weeks.  We have received no comments.
  8. Animal Care and Control – A resident spoke first about an incident from March 4, 2019 involving two large Gampr dogs (unleashed and roaming) that attacked her mother and her mothers dog on her mothers property.  Killing her mothers dog and biting her mother.  She spoke about discrepencies in the Sheriff’s Department and  Animal Care and Control.  She first came to the Acton Town Council meeting on March 16, 2019 to speak about the incident and this is what prompted us to have Animal Care and Control come to an ATC meeting.  Animal Care and Control ( Danny Barrio, Karen Stepp, and Lt Kim Shuman) and the Sheriff’s Department ( Captain Schaeffer, and Deputy Martinez ) were present and spoke about the incident and answered audience questions.  Things told to the audience included that the Sheriff’s department defers dog bite calls to Animal Care and Control.  Animal Care and Control receives the call and responds, but they come from Castaic and are about 71 % understaffed.  It was brought up about changes to Title 10 to put in more enforcements.  Many residents brought up about making calls to Animal Care and Control about roaming dogs and the frustrations with nothing happening.  Animal Care and Control spoke about the challenges they incur.  Other questions included : How do we get more Animal Control for our area since there are only 2 offices for approximately 1500 square miles?  How can we get Acton transferred from the Castaic office to the Lancaster office.  Suggestions to these questions were given and the following decision was made.  Jacki Ayer made a motion to write a letter asking for the modification of Title 10 to provide for administratively regulating dog owners, special licensing for vicious dogs, improve response time, increase staffing since ACC is understaffed by 71%, and stiffer penalties and higher fines for dog violators.  Tom Costan 2nd the motion.  The motion carried.
  9. Bylaw Ratification –  The bylaws have been presented at two Acton Town Council meetings and have been on the ATC website.   Jacki Ayer made a motion to adopt the bylaws as proposed.  Tom Costan 2nd the motion.  The motion passed.  The residents in the audience ratified the bylaws.
  10. Announcements and Correspondence –  On May 28, 2019 the BOS will look at the SEA.  We have not gotten our meeting with Supervisor Barger to discuss our questions that have not been answered by RP.  Jacki sent an email to the ATC stating concerns about the number of movie ranches trying to get CUP’s all in the same area of Acton and what their conditions going to be.  May 18, 2019 Community Filming Meeting, 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm at the Library.  No information has been received from Supervisor Barger’s office regarding our letter about what prompted the motion about getting clarification on drive through ban. Chuck Bostwick could only say it came from litigation. The Feds are in the works of withdrawing federal money from the CHSR.  We received an email regarding a scout wishing to come present an Eagle Scout project for the Welcome sign.  We will schedule with him possibly the next meeting on May 20, 2019.
  11. Councilmember Comments –  Tom Costan asked if there was any feedback from our letter with regards to Cactus Creek?  The Supervisor is aware and it is at the County Counsel Office and being looked at.  Jeremiah commented on information he got before the meeting started,  we have to carry Liability Insurance in order to use the Library Space.  Chuck Bostwick took the information and will look into it.
  12. Committee Reports – The following committees had reports:  Publicity – The announcement for the Filming Meeting has been posted, and Tom will send out an email blast.  Film Coalition –  We still need to fill this committee chairman.  It was asked by someone in the audience if permits are still being given for after hours?  The answer is yes because they are done on a case by case basis.  Industrial Aesthetics – We believe Ruth Brock will remain as chairman of this committee.  Nothing is really going on right now and she will get the committee back together hopefully soon.  Traffic Safety – The new 4 way stop at Crown Valley Road and Escondido Canyon Road is great and they now have flags up for the changed traffic pattern.  We requested the data from the study at Red Rover Mine Road and Sierra Highway and were told we would have to put in a formal request.
  13.  Unfinished/New Business – None
  14. Items for Next Agenda – Eagle Scout Project, SB415
  15. Adjournment – 10:19 pm
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*