Acton Town Council Minutes – 4/20/2015
Meeting Called to Order at 7:30 p.m. at the Acton/Agua Dulce Library
1. Present at the Meeting: Chris Croisdale, Ray Billet, Pam Wolter, Tom Costan, Katherine Tucker. Absent: Michael Hughes, Jacqueline Ayer, and Thor Merich
2. Minutes of 4/6//2015 – reviewed. No corrections.
3. Treasurer’s Report: No Report
4. Sheriff’s Report: Deputy Short 661-272-2571
5. SCE Report: Patricia Bartoli-Wible – Patricia reported an outage in the area – underground circuit. Bird deterrents were being removed. She will be providing an FAA circular for the towers on the property of Tom Costan.
6. Library Report: There are new librarians at the library now.
7. Presentations: Rite Aid – Ed Horovitz and Matt Stow of RDS Partners, Inc. presented an updated version of the proposed Rite Aid at Crown Valley Road and Antelope Woods. Mr. Horovitz stated that the drive through will only be for pre-orderd prescriptions. Residents asked if alcohol will be sold at the Rite Aid and noted that the Rite Aid is very close to schools in the area? Mr. Horovitz did not know. The residents asked if traffic studies had been or will be done. Another resident noted that the traffic under the freeway overpass is very dangerous already. Another resident said that people ride their horses in the area, and the increased traffic will make this very dangerous. Mr. Horovitz said that the hours may be 8 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. It was discussed that what will probably happen is that of the 93,000 cars which pass daily on the 14 Freeway, people will stop at the Rite Aid in Acton rather than go to the Rite Aid in Palmdale. Edward Horovitz – 949-400-2427. The residents would like Rite Aid to speak to the community to answer questions regarding number of patrons needed to make the business viable, whether or not alcohol sales are necessary for the business to open. It was noted that the Pylon style of sign was removed from the plans, but it is uncertain how many businesses may eventually be built on the property.
8. Announcements and Correspondence:
- LA County Renewable Energy Ordinance: 4/22/2015 – remote testimony in Lancaster. 9 a.m.
- Crossman Letter: Will be reviewed at 5/4/2015 meeting.
- LARICS – New form of emergency communication among first responders – fire piolice.
- LA County Yard Sale Ordinance – Draft is on line.
- Kelly Tino – submitted letter offering to serve on ATC. (It was noted that Michael Hainline and Ted Hamm have also stepped forward)
- Richard Cook – Field Deputy for Senator Sharron Runner. firstname.lastname@example.org 661-729-6232
9. Update on 501c3 /4: Michael Hughes is working with Atty. Randall Fink. Liability Insurance – Chris Croisdale announced that he received a quote for Liability insurance for each council member – it was $7,000 / year. He will look at getting insurance for the 501 c4 corporation. Chris found another broker and will get a quote from him.
10. Committee Reports:
- Planning, Coordinating, Trails and Open Space, Recreation Committee – Jacqueline Ayer – No Report.
- High Speed Rail – Pam Wolter – Pam announced the community working meeting for 4/25/2015 at 9:30 a.m. at Meadowlark School. Pam showed the new signs she had made against HSR. She needs help in putting them up. Pam announced the 5/27/2015 Santa Clarita Coalition meeting at Canyon High School at 7:00 p.m. Pam provided a timeline for HSR publication of Supplemental Alternatives Analysis. There will be an upcoming tour of Acton by Dan Richards, CEO/HSRA and Michelle Boehm. Date pending. Pam also announced that her group wants to have a float in the July 4th parade.
- Publicity and Assoc. of Rural Town Councils – co-chaired by Tom Costan and Ray Billet – Tom noted that there are 27 members on the actontowncouncil.org website.
- Finance Ways and Means – Thor Merich – No Report
- By-Laws Committee – Michael Hughes – No Report
- Public Works and Utilities Committee – Chris Croisdale – No report
- Beautification, Illegal Dumping – K. Tucker – No Report
- Emergency Response and Disaster Planning – Michael Hughes – No Report
- Community Center Liaison – Michael Hughes – No Report
- Chamber of Commerce – Pam Wolter – No Report
- School Board – Lillian Smith – Vasquez High School construction is progressing well. Lillian was part of a tour of the Administration Building and Library. It’s very impressive. Lillian noted that the school will offer shop classes and culinary arts. There will be adult classes too.
- Friends of Acton Park – No Report
- The Women’s Club – Pam Wolter announced that the Women’s Club will be holding their annual scholarship luncheon on 5/20/2015 where they will be giving away five scholarships of $1200 each.
- Boy Scouts of America – TBD
- Girl Scouts of America – TBD
12. Unfinished Business: LA County Yard Sale Ordinance
13. New Business: Pam Wolter suggested that we might look at making Acton a California State Historical Preservation area.
Meeting Adjourned: 9:08 p.m.
Next meeting will be held on 5/4/2015 at the Acton/ Agua Dulce Library at 7:39 p.m.